“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
At John Hampden Primary School, we aim to develop happy, healthy and curious learners who read confidently and fluently and seek to acquire knowledge independently. We strive to help our pupils to develop a lifelong enjoyment of reading taking genuine pleasure from what they read. We firmly believe that reading is the basis for enhancing speaking and listening and writing skills and as such, our curriculum is driven by rich texts, which are aimed at challenging, capturing and inspiring our children’s minds.
We consider ourselves a community of readers. All adults model and communicate their love of reading and support children in their reading in the following ways:
- Story time; where adults share quality texts with their class
- Opportunities for reading for pleasure; time is allocated to read independently and with a buddy to enjoy the reading experience
- Book talk & comprehension sessions; where teachers model the different skills of reading
- Inviting reading areas; that inspire our children to read a variety of books for pleasure
- Individual reading; where we support children according to their individual needs
- The use of high quality and a rich variety of texts; which show progression through the school