Design & Technology
At John Hampden Primary School we are committed to providing all children with learning opportunities to engage in design technology. Our planning and practice is based on the National Curriculum for Design Technology.
Value of Design and Technology
We believe design and technology is about designing and making products for a specific user and purpose. It involves children in learning about the world we live in and developing a wide range of knowledge and skills through designing and making. It helps children to think through problems creatively, about how to organise themselves and how to use knowledge and skills to bring about change and to shape the environment. Through design and technology children become discriminating and informed users of products and become innovators.
Aims of Design and Technology
We believe Design and Technology offers opportunities for children to:
- Develop their capability to create high quality products through combining their designing and making skills with knowledge and understanding;
- Develop a sense of enjoyment and pride in their ability to make;
- Nurture creativity and innovation through designing and making;
- Develop an interest and understanding of the ways in which people from the past and present have used design to meet their needs.
In the Early Years Foundation Stage we provide opportunities for children to:
- Develop a curiosity and interest in the designed and made world through investigating, talking and asking questions about familiar products;
- Develop confidence and enthusiasm through frequent exploration of construction kits to build and construct objects, and activities for exploring joining, assembling and shaping materials to make products;
- Extend their vocabulary through talking and explaining about their designing and making activities.