Term 1 2019-20
Term 6 2018-19
The Mystical Mayans
Mysterious ruins; historical evidence; cities and society; religious & beliefs; everyday life; writing and technology; mysterious disappearances
MAIN TEXT: Holes by Louis Slander
MAIN WRITING FOCUS: Adventure Stories; Descriptive writing; Character studies; Summarising
Maths – Position and direction; Shape and angles; Measures
Art & Design – Mayan masks
Science – Earth and Space: Spherical Shapes; Super Sizes; Day, Night and Time Zones; What is a Year? ; and A Lunar Month.
ICT – Scratch
PHSE – Changing me
PE – Athletics; Sports day; Rounders & Cricket continued
Term 5 2018-19
- MAIN TEXTS: Spy/ thriller genre Storm Breaker by Anthony Horwitz
- MAIN WRITING FOCUS: Advert for a spy gadget Technical specifications and instructions for using a spy gadget Play script for a scene from Storm Breaker Write an extra chapter for Storm breaker in the spy thriller genre
Maths – Decimals; Properties of shape.
Science – Properties and Changes of Materials; Properties of Materials Disappearing or Dissolving; Separating Materials; Irreversible changes.
Art & Design – Blue print for a spy gadget; Self portrait Picasso style self portrait
ICT – Scratch: create a splat game
PHSE – Relationships
PE – Rugby; Swimming
Term 3 & 4 2018-19
Rainforests & Rivers
- Main Texts: The Great Kapok Tree by Lynne Cherry The Explorer by Katherine Rundell Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling River Story by Meredith Hooper
- Poetry: Rivers – Pie Corbett and Valerie Bloom
- Main Writing Focus: Formal letter writing: persuasive and explanation – trying to save the rainforest Non Chronological Reports – a new Amazon animal is discovered! Story Writing – create our own ‘Just So Story’ Poetry – a river journey
Maths: Multiplication & Division Fractions Decimals & Percentages
Science: Living things and their habitat Life Cycles
Geography: South America Explore The Amazon Rainforest & River
Art & Design: Arts Week: Silk Painting Pastels & watercolor Rainforest Mandela’s World Art: South American artist – Romero Britto
ICT: Lego workshop Scratch Coding – create a maze game
RE: What do sacred texts and other sources say about God, the world and human life? (Christianity & Islam)
PHSE: Dreams and goals Healthy Me
PE: Games: Netball Squash
Other: French Zoolab visit with a fascinating rainforest animal handling experience
Term 1 & 2 2018-19
World War Two -When the Lights Went Out
ENGLISH: Class book: Letters From The Lighthouse – Emma Carroll. Guided Reading book: Friend or Foe – Michael Morpurgo – we will focus on our inference and deduction skills, by looking for clues in the text.
Writing – we will use a range of children’s fictional books set during the Second World War as a stimulus for writing a variety of genres including: narratives, letters, poetry and recounts.
MATHS: Place Value; Addition and Subtraction; Statistics; Multiplication and Division; Perimeter and Area.
HISTORY: We will be learning about the reasons why the Second World War took place. We will investigate the impact that this had on everyday lives. We will find out about the life of Anne Frank and key events.
SCIENCE: Forces in action: gravity, friction (tanks), air resistance (parachutes investigation), water resistance (submarine investigation). Properties and changes of materials: mixing, separating and dissolving.
ART & DESIGN: Blitz silhouette; WW2 plane enlargement pencil sketch; Wire and tissue paper poopy sculpture; Dunkirk watercolour.
OTHER AREAS OF LEARNING:
PE: Tennis, swimming, hockey,
RE: How do peoples beliefs about God, the world and others impact on their lives?
PSHE: Being me in my world, Celebrating differences
ICT: Word processing skills, coding